The more ‘native-like’ the pronunciation, the better, right? Well, not necessarily. In this episode we take a look at English as a Lingua Franca research into pronunciation and discuss 6 things that every English teacher should know about teaching pronunciation.
If you’re interested in learning more about teaching pronunciation, take a look at Marek’s on-line course How to teach pronunciation: the ELF perspective. A 6 step practical guide for English teachers. And since we really value and appreciate the time you spent listening to the podcast, Marek’s prepared an exclusive 70% discount just for you. On top of this, you’ll get lifetime access to the course and a 30 day money back guarantee, no questions asked.
Some of the things that you will learn in the course:
- how ELF perspective influences our view of teaching pronunciation;
- which pronunciation features we should focus more on in class and why;
- which pronunciation features might hinder intelligibility in international contexts;
- why ‘non-native speakers’ can be great pronunciation models;
- how to adapt your course book;
- what to consider before adopting the ELF perspective;
- how to raise awareness of ELF in the classroom;
- how to create your own pronunciation materials.
You can also take a sneak peek inside the course before you decide here as well as preview two other lectures, by going to the course home page, scrolling to the curriculum and clicking on the ‘preview’ button. And below is a short video where Marek tells you a bit more about the course and how it’s structured. Ready to give your pronunciation teaching a boost?
If you enjoyed this episode, please give us a like and a share, and maybe leave a comment too. Don’t forget that the podcasts are available on a number of music services, while the videos are on YouTube. Just click on one of the logos below to listen to the podcasts on your favourite music service.